Ai Weiwei, Amelia Dimoldenberg, Dr. Rebecca Gomperts, Emanuel Wallace (a.k.a Big Manny) and AI policy trailblazers Brando Benifei and Dragoș Tudorache are to be recognized for outstanding digital impact with 2023 Special Achievement Honours.
Winners of the 13th Annual Lovie Awards are today unveiled in an all-new Winners Gallery, showcasing thirteen years of European internet excellence.
London 9 November 2023, 8am GMT – The International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences (IADAS) today announced the Winners for the 13th Annual Lovie Awards, Europe’s leading award for Internet excellence in the fields of business, culture & technology. Winners include companies, content and campaigns from Ledger, Bang & Olufsen, Condé Nast, Amazon Fashion, Ebay, Vinted, Lenovo, WeTransfer, Spotify, WaterBear, Base Design, WongDoody, Deutsche Bahn and celebrities like FKA Twigs, DJ Snake, Es Devlin, Winnie Harlow, Katy Perry, Craig David, Tracey Emin, Yinka Shonibare CBE RA, Francis Bourgeois, David Attenborough and Jorja Smith. The inaugural European Publisher of the Year will be bestowed upon BBC Studios. The 13th Annual Lovie Awards Winner Celebration is presented by Snapchat and will take place at London’s 180 Strand on November 9th.
A full list of Winners have been revealed at the all new Winners Gallery cataloguing thirteen years of European Internet excellence at: http://winners.lovieawards.com
“This year, we were profoundly impressed by the exceptional quality of submissions, which served as a true reflection of the core values that Europe cherishes – freedom of expression, diversity, human-centricity and excellence”, says Lovie Awards Managing Director Jacqueline Kavanagh. “The Lovies Awards’ diverse convergence of ideas, brands, museums, cultural institutions and causes, all embody the essence of what makes Europe special. Our 2023 winners fill me with anticipation for what the future holds for the European Internet.”
The Lovies will once again honour a group of individuals for their outstanding work on the Internet this year with Special Achievement Awards. They join the ranks of past Special Achievement Winners including Stephen Fry, Edward Enninful, Annie Lennox, Abba and the inventors of the ARM Processor, Bluetooth and Wifi. This year’s Special Achievement Winners include:
Lovie Lifetime Achievement Award: 🇨🇳 Ai Weiwei – For his visionary use of technology to elevate social commentary and advocate for a better world. Ai Weiwei’s distinctive multimedia practice is a powerful vehicle for expressing his views on humanity, freedom, and the struggle against oppression.
Lovie Creator of the Year Award: 🇬🇧 Amelia Dimoldenberg – For her outstanding achievement with “Chicken Shop Date” and contribution to the diverse, joyful world of online entertainment.
Lovie Activist of the Year: 🇳🇱 Dr Rebecca Gomperts – For her lifelong, fearless dedication to advancing reproductive rights and expanding abortion access by leveraging the power of technology to break down barriers and reach those in need with her NGO Women on Waves.
Lovie Special Achievement Award: 🇬🇧 Emanuel Wallace, aka Big Manny – For his transformative use of technology and digital platforms to empower and inspire diverse audiences, democratise knowledge and make science cool to young viewers online.
Lovie Special Achievement Award: 🇮🇹 Brando Benifei and 🇷🇴Dragoș Tudorache – For their unwavering dedication in shaping Europe’s artificial intelligence regulations.
Lovie Agency of the Year Award: DEPT® – Once again DEPT® has established itself as a leader in European internet excellence with an astounding 35 winning entries, including 12 gold, 13 silver, and 10 bronze awards, along with a record-breaking 30 People’s Lovie Awards across all categories.
Inaugural Lovie European Publisher of the Year Award: BBC Studios – With 2 gold, 3 silver, 3 bronze, and 4 People’s Lovie Awards, BBC Studios excels in unravelling challenging and intricate stories, crafting them into engaging and impactful content of superior quality.
The Lovie Award Winners are selected by the International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences (IADAS), with experienced members from all over Europe. Judges include Executive Creative Director of Dazed Studio Fred Paginton, Creative Content Director of The Business of Fashion Emma Clark, CEO and co-founder of TransferWise Kristo Käärmann, Founder of Platform13 Leila Fataar, Partner IDEO Anne Kim, Executive Director UK of Black Pride Phyllis Opoku-Gyimah, Founder of Bureau for Visual Affairs Simon Piehl, Chief Commercial Officer of Elvie Shweta Harit, Global Executive Creative Director of N26 Kai Heuser and more. The People’s Lovie Awards are chosen by public voting.
This year, The Lovie Awards introduced a suite of Beyond honours to celebrate initiatives from Europe that have the power to positively impact the globe. The inaugural winners of the Beyond category in the 13th Annual Lovie Awards represent Europe’s brilliant and remarkable solutions to address inequity, habitat and wildlife loss, accessibility, overproduction, and beyond. These teams are moulding a better digital future with inventive, fresh and innovative ideas. Winners include The Wild Escape by PRELOADED, AI-Powered Wildlife Camera by Q42, The Sandcastle Economy: How to Recycle a Building by Nature, B Corp Choose Better by &Why, Restart A Heart by Gospooky, A Rallying Cry to Use Railways by DEPT®, The CRAFTED Project by Netherlands Institute for Sound & Vision, Dazed Club by Dazed Studio and HelpMaya by Q42.
Fans will be able to watch hallmark 7-Word acceptance speeches from Winners by visiting http://winners.lovieawards.com/ and following @TheLovieAwards across Instagram and X.
2023 CATEGORY HIGHLIGHTS
Beyond Categories (new category 2023)
- FOOD: NUTS (Gold) – Business – UK
- Q42: AI-powered Wildlife Camera (Silver, People’s Lovie Winner) – Technology – Netherlands
- SERVICEPLAN / PLAN.NET: Dot Pad. The first smart tactile graphics display (Gold, People’s Lovie Winner) – Health & Wellbeing – Germany
- 20/20 Helsinki: Dispelix – The unseen simplicity (Silver) – Technology – Finland
- I LIKE NETWORKING: I LIKE NETWORKING (Silver) – Community – UK
Apps, Platforms & Software
- The Origin AG: CocoonWeaver (Silver) – Services & Utilities – Switzerland
- denkwerk GmbH: Struggly – math as a creative, visually connected subject (Gold, People’s Lovie Winner) – Family & Kids – Germany
- Shape: OK – The Car Owner’s Digital Cockpit (Silver, People’s Lovie Winner) – Best User Experience – Denmark
- Fabrique: The Cover: Private members’ club for the culturally curious (Gold, People’s Lovie Winner) – Community & Social – Netherlands
- iCandi: Night Sky (Silver, People’s Lovie Winner) – Best Use of Augmented Reality – UK
Film & Video
- Media.Monks: GVB: Reisdichter (Bronze, People’s Lovie Winner) – Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – Netherlands
- Pencil TV: Mac Miller – The Star Room (Silver, People’s Lovie Winner) – Music Video – France
- Kubbco: Diabetes Besties (Bronze, People’s Lovie Winner) – Branded Entertainment – Denmark
- Ketchum London: The Most Boring Room Ever (Silver, People’s Lovie Winner) – Best Art Direction – UK
- Al Jazeera Digital: One day in Hebron (Gold, People’s Lovie Winner) – Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – Poland
- Al Jazeera Investigations Unit: Gold Mafia Podcast (6 Part Series) (Silver) – Crime & Justice – USA
- iO: Dutch Podcast: The Lost SS’er (Gold, People’s Lovie Winner) – Crime & Justice – Netherlands
- Listen: 28ish Days Later (Gold) – Health & Wellness – UK
- TheGrio: Being Black: The 80’s (Gold) – Arts, Entertainment & Sport – USA
- Fresh Air Production: How We’re Wired (Gold, People’s Lovie Winner) – Best Series – UK
- Gospooky: Hema Slayma (Silver, People’s Lovie Winner) – Best Overall Social Presence – Netherlands
- Whalar: Amazon Fashion Gift Guide Helpline (Bronze, People’s Lovie Winner) – Events & Livestreams – UK
- Woo: Woo presents No Wrong Answers (Gold) – Best Social Video Series – UK
- DEPT®: Just Eat – Did somebody say… Katy Perry? (Silver, People’s Lovie Winner) – Best Influencer Endorsement – Netherlands
- Bitmama: The Beewise Agent (Silver) – Experimental & Innovation – Italy
Marketing, Advertising & PR
- AnalogFolk: The Truth, Undressed (Silver, People’s Lovie Winner) – Best Social Impact Campaign – UK
- Condé Nast: Ralph Lauren x Vogue Pride Love Stories (Bronze, People’s Lovie Winner) – Best Multimedia Storytelling – UK
- Demodern GmbH: MINIverse – The First Drivable Metaverse (Bronze) – Branded Content – Germany
- ACE: Missjourney.ai (Bronze, People’s Lovie Winner) – Best PR Campaign – Netherlands
- Daniel J Edelman: #MayoMcHack (Gold) – Best Stunt or Viral Marketing – UK
Websites & Mobile Sites
- Niji: Relais&Châteaux – Synesthesia (Gold) – Best Design (Functional) – France
- Build in Amsterdam: Vitra Gift Finder (Gold) – Retail & Shopping – Netherlands
- Bureau for Visual Affairs: WePresent (Bronze, People’s Lovie Winner) – Best Design – Aesthetic – UK
- CNN Worldwide: I feel a hundred years older:’ One man’s most personal moments from the past year in Ukraine (Bronze) – News & Politics – USA
- Vaayu Tech GmbH: Vaayu (Bronze) – Sustainability & Environment – Germany
Web3 & XR
- Weekend Creative Agency: Efteling Spookslot Metaverse (Gold, People’s Lovie Winner) – Best Installation or Experience – Netherlands
- BBDO Dublin: Unfair City (Silver, People’s Lovie Winner) – Public Service & Activism – Ireland
- Build in Amsterdam: Moooi WebAR Product Launch (Bronze) – Business, Fashion & Retail – Netherlands
- Christie’s: Christie’s 3.0 (Silver) – Art, Culture, Music & Film – UK
- Ledger: School of Block – An Entertaining Guide to Your Digital Freedom (Gold) – Public Service & Activism – USA
NOTE TO EDITORS
The Lovie Awards is the largest pan-European Award recognising European Internet excellence in the fields of culture, technology and business With over 1,200 entries from 30 countries across Europe, the awards reflect the tremendous growth of the Internet as a tool for business and everyday lives. Work in English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish and Italian is judged by native speakers in eight main category types: Apps, Platforms & Software, Film & Video, Podcasts, Social, Marketing, Advertising & PR, Websites & Mobile Sites, Web3 & XR, and new in 2023, Beyond Categories.
The Lovie Awards 2023 foundational relaunch partners include Advertising Week Europe, AUFI, Bureau for Visual Affairs, DADDY, District, Dutch Digital Design, Girls in FIlm, HIGHSNOBIETY, Les Glorieuses, OFFF Festival, RadioDays Europe, Tech Circus, Tortoise, Unbound and Vestpod.
THE INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY OF DIGITAL ARTS AND SCIENCES (IADAS)
IADAS presents The Lovie Awards, Webby Awards and Anthem Awards. With a network of over 3000 intellectually diverse members, we help drive the creative, technical & professional progress of the Internet.